“Since 1984, the Pizza Hut BOOK IT! Program has been dedicated to encouraging reading in schools nationwide. And we know that to make a difference, you really have to Read Your Heart Out®. Our work is more than just a corporate mission, it’s a personal challenge to turn have to read into want to read and our time-tested incentives work. We are the largest and longest-running corporate supported reading program and now we are fostering the second generation of program alumni. We know that reading makes a difference. Need more convincing? The statistics speak for themselves.”
~ Mission Statement, Pizza Hut Book It! Program.
Pizza Hut’s Book It! program has made Pizza Hut synonymous with reading for over 30 years. Their longstanding presence in classrooms across America has successfully imprinted Pizza Hut into the memories of generations of school children. Since 2006, Kidzsmart and Pizza Hut have worked together to create each year’s program, with the two-fold goal of building brand affinity and keeping the program fresh and inviting for kids.
So, what makes this program a continual success?
- The program has a strong mission, stemming from personal experience that is relatable to both kids and parents.
- It has full corporate backing and investment, including a dedicated team to direct, distribute and support the program and its messaging.
- It is a fully-formed program, using a mix of online content, print materials, educational resources and merchandise that make up the full tool-kit.
- There are tools available for all parties involved—kids, parents and teachers—ensuring that there is full buy-in around the program.
- Along with materials, a complete community roll-out program was developed to support users and participants.
- It partners with experts, associations, kid-centric authors and illustrators to advise and ensure that the content and messaging is relevant and appropriate for children.
- It uses a reward system (pizza!) to help inspire kids to read every day!
About the Book It! Program:
Each year’s program is a robust package of teacher resources, classroom tools, parent communications, student engagement, and an online reading tracker. Kidzsmart develops these resources and works closely with Pizza Hut’s team and current branding practices to ensure a successful program. A key aspect of the package is the free, personal pan pizza certificates that kids receive for reaching their monthly reading milestones. These certificates are redeemable for dining in only, which is an opportunity to bring family traffic through Pizza Hut’s doors on a regular basis.
In recent years, the Book It! Program has featured a popular literary partner—first the Wimpy Kid series and author Jeff Kinney, and currently Flora & Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by author Kate DiCamillo and illustrator K.G. Campbell. These strategic partnerships help position Pizza Hut as a current, kid-friendly brand. Book It! has also incorporated digital interactivity through partnerships with Kindle, Amazon and Brilliance Publishing.
Book It! is a successful tool for encouraging a love of reading. Through the program, Pizza Hut strengthens its legacy as an organization that cares.
For more information about this or other outreach programs, contact our sales team.